Enriching Early Scientific Learning Paperback
Part of the UK Higher Education OUP Humanities & Social Sciences Education OUP series
* How can teachers and other early years professionals improve their practice as science educators? * What learning experiences will motivate children and develop scientific conceptual understanding, skills and attitudes? * How can the awe and wonder of science be shared with young children?
This practical and accessible book shows how good science learning can occur through creative activities which begin with adult and child exploration.
It offers twenty stimulating ideas for good practice in science education with an emphasis upon: * the importance of first hand experience of scientific phenomena * the accessibility of science concepts for all children * the creative and cross-curricular nature of science * the use of low cost, readily available 'household' materials The authors have considerable experience in this area and each activity has been successfully used to enthuse young children and to develop their scientific understanding, process skills and positive attitudes to science.
The book will be particularly useful for student teachers, classroom teachers, science co-ordinators and other early years professionals. It provides valuable guidance as to how the demands of the National Curriculum and the Desirable Outcomes for Childrens' Learning can be met creatively.
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 104 pages, ill. port.
- Publisher: Open University Press
- Publication Date: 01/10/1999
- Category: Pre-school & kindergarten
- ISBN: 9780335203932