250 delicious vegetarian recipes plus information on the health benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle.We choose a vegetarian lifestyle for various reasons, and perhaps one of the most significant is that a plant-based diet is healthful. Many current studies show that the fiber, minerals and other nutrients found in such foods play an important role in preventing disease. This cookbook offers up a vegetarian diet that is rich, varied, healthful and delicious. The recipes call for an interesting range of food choices and are often both budget friendly and spontaneous. In The Vegetarian Cook's Bible, good taste and good health go hand in hand. For example:
- Warm mushrooms with goat cheese is a recipe that ties in with research showing how shiitake mushrooms bolster the immune system.
- The author explains that cruciferous vegetables protect against colon cancer-and provides a recipe for a hearty stuffed braised cabbage with potatoes.
- A special section addresses seven body systems and suggests prescriptive meals and beneficial dietary and lifestyle changes.
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 288 pages, 16 full colour photographs
- Publisher: Robert Rose Inc
- Publication Date: 24/05/2007
- Category: Vegetarian cookery
- ISBN: 9780778801535
Showing 1 - 1 of 1 reviews.
Review by esquetee
Excellent recipe layout with sidebar tips and vegan variations. The very top of each recipe has the oven temperature and needed equipment to be seen at a glance. A whole section is devoted to sauces and spice blends, which are then used in recipes throughout the book. The book is divided into 3 main parts: 1) Healthy Body Systems, with details on which foods are good for which body functions2) Whole Foods, with descriptions, health benefits, and cautions about many foods and herbs3) Recipes, broken down into 11 chapters Overall, highly recommended for anyone who wants more than just recipes. I'm looking forward to learning more about using a better variety of spices ... something I'm pretty bad at.