Celtic Alphabets Paperback / softback
by Aidan Meehan
Of all the ornamental applications of Celtic art, the decorated letter is perhaps the richest.
This wonderful collection of 16 complete alphabets, created by Aidan Meehan from his deep knowledge of Celtic illuminated letters and styles, includes knotwork, animal and plant forms, spirals and human figures.
From 17th-century spirals to 12th-century leonine dragons, from early uncials decorated with bird heads to modern capitals laced with Celtic eel knots, over 500 drawings cover the whole spectrum of Celtic ornament in its most useful form.
Artists, designers, calligraphers and craftspeople will find this an invaluable reference and inspiration.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 96 pages, illustrated in two colours throughout; 502 Illustrations, black and white
- Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Publication Date: 19/01/1998
- Category: Ancient & classical art,BCE to c 500 CE
- ISBN: 9780500279809