Sailors, Slaves, and Immigrants : Bondage in the Indian Ocean World, 1750-1914 Hardback
Part of the Palgrave Series in Indian Ocean World Studies series
Slaves, convicts, and unfree immigrants have traveled the oceans throughout human history, but the conventional Atlantic World historical paradigm has narrowed our understanding of modernity.
This provocative study contrasts the Atlantic conflation of freedom and the sea with the complex relationships in the Indian Ocean in the long 19th century.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 188 pages, V, 188 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 04/09/2014
- Category: Maritime history
- ISBN: 9781137448453
- Paperback / softback from £53.19