Men of Feeling in Eighteenth-Century Literature : Touching Fiction Hardback
by Alex Wetmore
Analysing texts by Sterne, Smollett, Brooke, and Mackenzie, this book offers a new perspective on a question that literary criticism has struggled with for years: why are many sentimental novels of the 1700s so pervasively and playfully self-conscious, and why is this self-consciousness so often directed toward the materiality of the printed word?
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 207 pages, X, 207 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 13/11/2013
- Category: Literary studies: c 1500 to c 1800
- ISBN: 9781137346339
- Paperback / softback from £48.95