Possessed By the Devil : The Real History of the Islandmagee Witches and Ireland's Only Mass Witchcraft Trial Paperback / softback
In 1711, in County Antrim, eight women were put on trial accused of orchestrating the demonic possession of young Mary Dunbar, and the haunting and supernatural murder of a local clergyman's wife.
Mary Dunbar was the star witness in this trial, and the women were, by the standards of the time, believable witches - they smoked, they drank, they just did not look right. With echoes of Arthur Miller's The Crucible and the Salem witch-hunt, this is a story of murder, of hysteria, and of how the `witch craze' that claimed over 40,000 lives in Europe played out on Irish shores.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 224 pages, 8 Illustrations, black and white; 8 Plates, black and white
- Publisher: The History Press Ltd
- Publication Date: 30/11/2011
- Category: Social & cultural history
- ISBN: 9781845887452