Strongholds of the Picts : The fortifications of Dark Age Scotland Paperback / softback
Illustrated by Peter Dennis
Part of the Fortress series
This concise guide actually covers not just Pictish fortifications, but all those in use in early medieval Scotland, including those of Strathclyde and Rheged and of the Dal Riata.
Konstam introduces the reader to the principal types of fort, including the re-use of earlier defences, before offering more in-depth surveys of Dundurn and Dunadd.
As well as architecture and construction he looks at the use of the forts in war and peace, to control the landscape and act as royal strong points.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 64 pages, col and b/w illus
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 10/02/2010
- Category: British & Irish history
- ISBN: 9781846036866