The Great Expedition : Sir Francis Drake on the Spanish Main 1585-86 Paperback / softback
Illustrated by Peter Dennis, Alan Gilliland, Brian Delf
Part of the Raid series
In 1585, the English launched a pre-emptive strike against Spain, by attacking her New World colonies.
Led by Sir Francis Drake, in command of 21 ships and 1,800 soldiers, the expedition struck first at the Canary Islands, then attacked the city of Santo Domingo and the treasure port of Cartagena.
Frequently outnumbered, Drake's soldiers won an series of spectacular victories and, laden with treasure, sailed home to a hero's welcome.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 80 pages, 35 b/w; 7 col
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 07/02/2011
- Category: British & Irish history
- ISBN: 9781849082457