Castles were introduced into England by the Normans in the 11th century, with more than 1500 built throughout England and Wales over the next 400 years. Colourful photos of castles now and artworks showing what they looked like centuries ago accompany informative detail about topics such as medieval castle life, knights and chivalry, and the castle as a home as well as fortress. Also includes a list of interesting castles to visit, including some National Trust properties. A book for lovers of England and her history. Look out for more Pitkin Guides on the very best of British history, heritage and travel.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 32 pages, Around 50 illustrations
- Publisher: Pavilion Books
- Publication Date: 01/01/2001
- Category: Castles & fortifications
- ISBN: 9781841651590