Writing the South Seas : Imagining the Nanyang in Chinese and Southeast Asian Postcolonial Literature Hardback
Postcolonial literature about the South Seas, or Nanyang, examines the history of Chinese migration, localization, and interethnic exchange in Southeast Asia, where Sinophone settler cultures evolved independently by adapting to their "New World" and mingling with native cultures.
Writing the South Seas explains why Nanyang encounters, neglected by most literary histories, should be considered crucial to the national literatures of China and Southeast Asia.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 288 pages, 1 map, 1 chart
- Publisher: University of Washington Press
- Publication Date: 17/11/2015
- Category: Literature: history & criticism
- ISBN: 9780295995014
- Paperback / softback from £18.05
- EPUB from £21.06