* * Winner of the 2020 Dylan Thomas Prize * *____________________________________* One of Barack Obama's "Favourite Books of the Year" ** A New York Times Critics' Top Books of 2019 *'A superb book' Max Porter, author of Lanny____________________________________Stories of a young man finding his place among family and community in Houston, from a powerful, emerging American voice. In the city of Houston - a sprawling, diverse microcosm of America - the son of a black mother and a Latino father is coming of age.
He's working at his family's restaurant, weathering his brother's blows, resenting his older sister's absence. And discovering he likes boys. This boy and his family experience the tumult of living in the margins, the heartbreak of ghosts, and the braveries of the human heart.
The stories of others living and thriving and dying across Houston's myriad neighbourhoods are woven throughout to reveal a young woman's affair detonating across an apartment complex, a rag-tag baseball team, a group of young hustlers, the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, a local drug dealer who takes a Guatemalan teen under his wing, and a reluctant chupacabra. Bryan Washington's brilliant, viscerally drawn world leaps off the page with energy, wit, and the infinite longing of people searching for home.
With soulful insight into what makes a community, a family, and a life, Lot is about love in all its unsparing and unsteady forms.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 240 pages
- Publisher: Atlantic Books
- Publication Date: 01/08/2019
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9781786497833
- Paperback / softback from £8.15
- EPUB from £6.39