Spenser, Milton, and the Redemption of the Epic Hero Paperback / softback
This book studies the interplay of theology and poetics in the three great epics of early modern England, the Faerie Queene, Paradise Lost, and Paradise Regained.
Bond examines how Spenser and Milton adapted the pattern of dual heroism developed in classical and Medieval works.
Challenging the opposition between "Calvinist," "allegorical" Spenser and "Arminian," "dramatic" Milton, this book offers a new understanding of their doctrinal and literary affinities within the European epic tradition.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 260 pages
- Publisher: University of Delaware Press
- Publication Date: 14/03/2013
- Category: Poetry by individual poets
- ISBN: 9781611494655
- Hardback from £55.65
- Paperback / softback from £48.95