Jenny Pearl, a dancer, falls in love with Maurice Avery, a young dilettante who leaves her when she refuses to become his mistress.
Despairingly, she falls into a loveless marriage with Trewhella, a Cornish farmer who becomes insanely jealous when Avery reappears on the scene... Vivid, moving and ultimately tragic, CARNIVAL was first published in 1912 to wide critical acclaim, helping to establish Mackenzie as one of the foremost British novelists of his generation.
It has since been filmed three times and adapted for the stage and as an opera.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 528 pages
- Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton General Division
- Publication Date: 22/11/2012
- Category: Classic fiction (pre c 1945)
- ISBN: 9781848547704
- Paperback / softback from £14.95
- Hardback from £20.95
- EPUB from £3.99