The French Enlightenment and its Others : The Mandarin, the Savage, and the Invention of the Human Sciences Hardback
by D. Harvey
Part of the Palgrave Studies in Cultural and Intellectual History series
This book explores the French Enlightenment's use of cross-cultural comparisons - particularly the figures of the Chinese mandarin and American and Polynesian savage - to praise of critique aspects of European society and to draw general conclusions regarding human nature, natural law, and the rise and decline of civilizations.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 271 pages, VIII, 271 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 06/08/2012
- Category: European history
- ISBN: 9781137002532
- PDF from £51.85
- Paperback / softback from £54.09