British Colonial Realism in Africa : Inalienable Objects, Contested Domains Hardback
Part of the Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture series
What role do objects play in realist narratives as they move between societies and their different systems of value as commodities, as charms, as gifts, as trophies, or as curses?
This book explores how the struggle to represent objects in British colonial realism corresponded with historical struggles over the material world and its significance.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 245 pages, XII, 245 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 04/05/2012
- Category: Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900
- ISBN: 9780230378001
- PDF from £67.58
- Paperback / softback from £46.65