Kilts have been worn for hundreds of years, but the distinctive pattern of tartan originated in Scotland, spreading to Ireland, and reaching a crescendo of popularity in the nineteenth century.
This fascinating giftbook presents over 300 tartans from Scotland and Ireland, arranged alphabetically for ease of reference.
Each tartan is depicted in its full colourful glory along with any relevant clan badge descriptions and Gaelic renderings of clan names.
Each entry is accompanied by a brief discussion of the origins and ancestry of the tartan as well as a history of the clan.
This is a celebration of a truly evocative symbol of clanship and of these Celtic lands.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 352 pages, 170 Illustrations, color
- Publisher: Flame Tree Publishing
- Publication Date: 01/04/2010
- Category: Genealogy, heraldry, names & honours
- ISBN: 9781847867223