Masculinity, Crime and Self-Defence in Victorian Literature : Duelling with Danger Hardback
by E. Godfrey
Part of the Crime Files series
Now in paperback, this book considers crime fighting from the perspective of the civilian city-goer, from the mid-Victorian garotting panics to 1914.
It charts the shift from the use of body armour to the adoption of exotic martial arts through the works of popular playwrights and novelists, examining changing ideals of urban, middle-class heroism.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 201 pages, XII, 201 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 30/11/2010
- Category: Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900
- ISBN: 9780230273450
- PDF from £54.40
- Paperback / softback from £18.09