The Declaration of Arbroath, 6 April, 1320, is one of the most remarkable documents to have been produced anywhere in medieval Europe.
Signed by 51 Scottish nobles, it confirms Scotland's status as an independent sovereign state with the right to use military action if unjustly attacked. Quoted by many, understood by few, its historical significance has now almost been overtaken by its mythic status.
Since 1998, the US Senate has claimed that the American Declaration of Independence is modelled upon 'the inspirational document' of Arbroath.
This is the first book-length study to examine the origins of the Declaration and the ideas upon which it drew, while tracing the rise of its mythic status in Scotland and exploring its impact upon revolutionary America.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 192 pages, 8 Plates, black and white
- Publisher: Birlinn General
- Publication Date: 05/03/2020
- Category: British & Irish history
- ISBN: 9781780276458
- Paperback / softback from £7.05