North and South Paperback / softback
'A really remarkable picture of the reality, as well as the prosperity, of northern industrial life, and an interesting examination of changing social conscience' Joanna TrollopeMilton is a sooty, noisy northern town centred around the cotton mills that employ most of its inhabitants.
Arriving from a rural idyll in the south, Margaret Hale is initially shocked by the social unrest and poverty she finds in her new hometown.
However, as she begins to befriend her neighbours, and her stormy relationship with the mill-owner John Thornton develops, she starts to see Milton in a different light. WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY JENNY UGLOW
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 576 pages
- Publisher: Vintage Publishing
- Publication Date: 06/03/2008
- Category: Classic fiction (pre c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780099511489
- Paperback / softback from £2.50
- eAudiobook MP3 from £5.59
- EPUB from £1.40
- Hardback from £9.69