Fighting Chance : The Struggle over Woman Suffrage and Black Suffrage in Reconstruction America Paperback / softback
The advocates of woman suffrage and black suffrage came to a bitter falling-out in the midst of Reconstruction, when Elizabeth Cady Stanton opposed the 15th Amendment because it granted the vote to black men but not to women.
How did these two causes, so long allied, come to this?Based on extensive research, Fighting Chance is a major contribution to women's history and to 19th-century political history-a story of how idealists descended to racist betrayal and desperate failure.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 298 pages, 17 illus.
- Publisher: Oxford University Press Inc
- Publication Date: 27/03/2014
- Category: History of the Americas
- ISBN: 9780199376438