Tono-Bungay Paperback / softback
by H. G. Wells
Presented as a miraculous cure-all, Tono-Bungay is in fact nothing other than a pleasant-tasting liquid with no positive effects.
Nonetheless, when the young George Ponderevo is employed by his Uncle Edward to help market this ineffective medicine, he finds his life overwhelmed by its sudden success.
Soon, the worthless substance is turned into a formidable fortune, as society becomes convinced of the merits of Tono-Bungay through a combination of skilled advertising and public credulity.
As the newly rich George discovers, however, there is far more to class in England than merely the possession of wealth.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 448 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Publication Date: 31/03/2005
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780141441115
- Paperback / softback from £11.99