Political Ideologies and Political Parties in America Paperback / softback
Part of the Cambridge Studies in Public Opinion and Political Psychology series
Political Ideologies and Political Parties in America puts ideology front and center in the discussion of party coalition change.
Treating ideology as neither a nuisance nor a given, the analysis describes the development of the modern liberal and conservative ideologies that form the basis of our modern political parties.
Hans Noel shows that liberalism and conservatism emerged as important forces independent of existing political parties.
These ideologies then reshaped parties in their own image.
Modern polarization can thus be explained as the natural outcome of living in a period, perhaps the first in our history, in which two dominant ideologies have captured the two dominant political parties.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 242 pages, 10 Tables, unspecified; 1 Halftones, unspecified; 27 Line drawings, unspecified
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Publication Date: 31/01/2014
- Category: Political ideologies
- ISBN: 9781107620520