Coade Stone Paperback
Part of the Shire Album S. series
The Coade stone factory in London, which was active between 1769 and 1840, was owned and managed by Mrs Eleanor Coade, a remarkable Georgian business woman.
Her firm produced all kinds of architectural ornaments and statues, which were used by leading Georgian architects of the day for the embellishment of town and country houses and other important buildings.
Coade stone was fired clay made using a special formula, but it was marketed as 'artificial stone' since at that time stone was the preferred material for architectural decoration.
This book charts the history of Coade stone, the techniques of production, the sculptors who provided designs, and the architects who used it.
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 48 pages, colour and b/w ills
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 01/01/1999
- Category: Industrialisation & industrial history
- ISBN: 9780747806448