The International African Library : Witchcraft and a Life in the New South Africa Series Number 43 Paperback / softback
Witchcraft and a Life in the New South Africa reconstructs the biography of an ordinary South African, Jimmy Mohale.
Born in 1964, Jimmy came of age in rural South Africa during apartheid, then studied at university and worked as a teacher during the anti-apartheid struggle.
In 2005, Jimmy died from an undiagnosed sickness, probably related to AIDS.
Jimmy gradually came to see the unanticipated misfortune he experienced as a result of his father's witchcraft and sought remedies from diviners rather than from biomedical doctors.
This study casts new light on scholarly understandings of the connections between South African politics, witchcraft and the AIDS pandemic.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 265 pages, Worked examples or Exercises; 2 Maps; 7 Line drawings, black and white
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Publication Date: 30/11/2017
- Category: Biography: general
- ISBN: 9781108442695