Raising Spirits : How a Conjuror's Tale Was Transmitted across the Enlightenment Hardback
by J. Barry
Part of the Palgrave Historical Studies in Witchcraft and Magic series
Despite supernatural scepticism, stories about spirits were regularly printed and shared throughout the 18th and 19th centuries.
This case-study in the transmission of a single story (of a young gunsmith near Bristol conjuring spirits, leading to his early death) reveals both how and why successive generations found meaning in such accounts.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 146 pages, X, 146 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 18/11/2013
- Category: Social & cultural history
- ISBN: 9781137378934
- PDF from £42.49
- Paperback / softback from £38.75