How to Read an Impressionist Painting Paperback / softback
How to Read an Impressionist Painting is a new, original exploration of the hugely popular and revolutionary 19th-century art movement.
James Rubin organizes his discussion by subject matter, rather than by artist, looking at urban views and city life, interiors and still life, family and friends, and other common themes.
By avoiding an artist-based structure, and without the convention of a chronological approach, he provides readers with the tools to think critically and analytically about Impressionism as a movement, and offers a new understanding of the collective momentum that drove the artists to work with such originality and commitment to modern themes and pictorial originality.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 408 pages, Illustrated in colour throughout
- Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Publication Date: 11/11/2013
- Category: Art & design styles: Impressionism & Post-Impressionism
- ISBN: 9780500970577