Shiloh, 1862 Paperback / softback
Edited by David Chandler
Illustrated by Gerry Embleton
Part of the Osprey Military Campaign S. series
The first major battle in the Western theatre of the American Civil War (1861-1865), Shiloh came as a horrifying shock to both the American public and those in arms.
For the first time they had some idea of the terrible price that would be paid for the preservation of the Union.
On 6 April 1862 General Albert Sidney Johnston caught Grant and Sherman by surprise and very nearly drove them into the River Tennessee, but was mortally wounded in the process.
Somehow Grant and Sherman hung on and the next day managed to drive back the hordes of grey-clad rebels.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 96 pages, 14 colour and 70 b&w illustrations
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 15/09/1998
- Category: History of the Americas
- ISBN: 9781855326064