Greek Sculpture : The Archaic Period Paperback / softback
Part of the World of Art series
For many people there is no more satisfying expression of Greek art than its sculpture.
It was the first, the only ancient art to break free from 'conceptual' conventions for representing men and animals, and to explore consciously how art might imitate nature or even improve upon it. The first stages of this discovery, from the semi-abstract beginnings in the eighth century BC to the more representational art of the early fifth century, are explored and copiously illustrated in this handbook.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 252 pages, 481 Illustrations, black and white
- Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Publication Date: 05/06/1978
- Category: Ancient & classical art,BCE to c 500 CE
- ISBN: 9780500201633