The Thirty-Nine Steps Paperback / softback
by John Buchan
Perhaps more than any other book The Thirty-Nine Steps has set the pattern for the story of the chase for a wanted man. And, of the many writers who have attempted this kind of thing since Buchan, only a very few, like Graham Greene, have managed to sustain the tension in the same way.
The main character is Buchan's familiar hero, Richard Hannay who gets caught up quite suddenly on a dull London afternoon in a situation of extreme danger.
Before he knows what is happening he is the obvious suspect for a murder committed in his own flat, and has to go on the run to his native Scotland.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 128 pages
- Publisher: Penguin Books Ltd
- Publication Date: 03/01/1991
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780140011302
- eAudiobook MP3 from £5.84
- Paperback / softback from £2.50
- Hardback from £8.55
- EPUB from £0.99
- CD-Audio from £14.89