When John Gould was young, a boy learned about the sea--and arithmetic and knots and geography and life--from the old deep-water men living out their lives in snug harbors.
He grew up knowing the woods; the way a church supper smells; the way the Ladies Aid bargained together before a food sale.
The friendly, close-knit community life and the deep family affection gave him a foundation of sound sense to last through the years ahead. This is a book to read and reread. You will be glad to know that once, in Maine, a boy could have this kind of childhood; and you might be envious because you did not.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 256 pages, 29 Illustrations, black and white
- Publisher: Rowman & Littlefield
- Publication Date: 01/03/2020
- Category: Family & relationships
- ISBN: 9781608935406