Women Dramatists, Humor, and the French Stage : 1802 to 1855 Hardback
Filling a critical void, this book examines French women dramatists of the nineteenth-century who staged works prior to the lifting of censorship laws in 1864.
Though none staged overtly feminist drama, Sophie de Bawr, Sophie Gay, Virginie Ancelot, and Delphine Girardin questioned patriarchal dominance and reconstructed ideals of womanhood.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 233 pages, IX, 233 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 04/12/2014
- Category: Literary studies: c 1800 to c 1900
- ISBN: 9781137456717
- Paperback / softback from £47.05