Acts of Manhood : The Performance of Masculinity on the American Stage, 1828-1865 Hardback
Part of the Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance History series
Exploring the performance of masculinity on and off the nineteenth-century American stage, this book looks at the shift from the passionate muscularity to intellectual restraint as not a linear journey toward national refinement; but a multitude of masculinities fighting simultaneously for dominance and recognition.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 251 pages, 11 Illustrations, black and white; XI, 251 p. 11 illus.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 06/08/2012
- Category: Theatre studies
- ISBN: 9780230340459
- Paperback / softback from £50.59