Hogarth to Turner : British Painting Paperback / softback
This book traces some key developments in British 18th- and 19th-century painting, focusing in particular on the outstanding portraits and landscapes in the National Gallery's collection.
Compare what rival portrait painters Thomas Gainsborough and Sir Joshua Reynolds offered their sitters: the choice between shimmering colours and expressive brushwork, or ennobling classical references.
Their techniques and philosophical ideals would be challenged and developed even further by the next generation.
The ground-breaking landscapes that Constable and Turner produced inspired the French Impressionists, and are still among the world's favourite paintings today.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 72 pages, 80 color illus.
- Publisher: National Gallery Company Ltd
- Publication Date: 19/03/2010
- Category: History of art & design styles: c 1800 to c 1900
- ISBN: 9781857094879