`Oh dear,' said Evelyn Waugh of his society friends, `these great ladies.' In this book of pen portraits, the reader is introduced to ten extraordinary women who were society stars in the interwar years, and is offered a fresh perspective on key historical events, such as the abdication, the rise of fascism, and the position of these ladies in society through the years.
From the Churchills to the Mitfords, British and European Royals, to international playboys and film stars, these ladies knew everyone. And everyone knew them, for better or worse.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 240 pages, 25 Illustrations, black and white
- Publisher: The History Press Ltd
- Publication Date: 01/05/2019
- Category: Gender studies: women
- ISBN: 9780750988971