The Secret Life of the Mind : How Our Brain Thinks, Feels and Decides Hardback
* Where do our thoughts come from? * How can we manipulate our dreams? * What is the role of the unconscious? * How do we make choices and trust the judgement of both others and ourselves? These are some of the questions answered in this groundbreaking, personal and comprehensive guide about our thoughts. In this provocative, mind-bending international bestseller, prize-winning neuroscientist Mariano Sigman reveals his life's work exploring the inner workings of the human brain. Sigman's ambition is to explain the mind so that we can understand ourselves and others more deeply.
He shows how we form ideas during our first days of life, how we give shape to our fundamental decisions, how we dream and imagine, why we feel certain emotions, how the brain transforms and how who we are changes with it.
Sigman looks at the development of language, how bilingualism helps us to think and our notions of what is good and fair develop far earlier than we think. Building on his awe-inspiring TED talk and spanning biology, physics, philosophy and medicine as well as gastronomy, magic, music, chess, literature and art, The Secret Life of the Mind revolutionizes how neuroscience serves us in our lives, revealing how the infinity of neurons inside our brains manufacture how we perceive, reason, feel, dream and communicate.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 320 pages
- Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
- Publication Date: 01/06/2017
- Category: Popular science
- ISBN: 9780008210922
- Paperback from £7.75
- EPUB from £5.99
- eAudiobook MP3 from £9.59