St Gregory's Priory, Northgate, Canterbury. Excavations 1988-1991 Hardback
Part of the Archaeology of Canterbury series
A detailed report on excavations carried out at the site of St Gregory's Priory that revealed two major ecclesiastical buildings.
The earliest church, founded by Archbishop Lanfranc in AD 1084 became a priory in 1133; it was rebuilt after a great fire in 1145, probably under the patronage of Archbishop Theobald, and was eventually dissolved in 1537.
This large report outlines the historical and archaeological sequence at the site, describing the remains of the various structures recovered (including the church, chapter house, cloister, infirmary, refectory, courtyards), the architectural fragments and small finds.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 431 pages, 156 b/w figs and pls, tbs
- Publisher: Canterbury Archaeological Trust Ltd
- Publication Date: 01/12/2001
- Category: Medieval European archaeology
- ISBN: 9781870545044