Halophytes for Food Security in Dry Lands EPUB
Halophytes for Food Security in Dry Lands addresses the concerns surrounding global food scarcity, especially focusing on those living in arid and dry lands
The book touches on food crises in dry regions of the world and proposes halophytes as an alternate source of consumption for such areas. Halophytes, those plants that thrive in saline soil and provide either food source options themselves, or positively enhance an eco-system's ability to produce food, and are thus an important and increasingly recognized option for addressing the needs of the nearly 1/6 of the world's population that lives in these arid and semi-arid climates.
Including presentations from the 2014 International Conference on Halophytes for Food Security in Dry Lands, this book features insights from the leading researchers in the subject. It is a valuable resource that includes information on the nutritional value of halophytes, their genetic basis and potential enhancement, adaption of halophytes, and lessons learned thus far.
- Provides comprehensive coverage of the importance and utilization of halophytes to compensate the demand of food in whole world especially in the dry regions
- Contains insights from ecological to molecular fields
- Includes edible halophytes as well as those that enhance food-producing eco-systems
- Presents information for improving abiotic stress tolerance in plants
- Format: EPUB
- Pages: 360 pages
- Publisher: Elsevier Science
- Publication Date: 15/09/2015
- Category: Biology, life sciences
- ISBN: 9780128018804