For years, it has been what is called a 'deteriorating situation'.
Now all over South Africa the cities are battlegrounds.
The members of the Smales family - liberal whites - are rescued from the terror by their servant, July, who leads them to refuge in his native village.
What happens to the Smaleses and to July - the shifts in character and relationships - gives us an unforgettable look into the terrifying, tacit understandings and misunderstandings between blacks and whites.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 208 pages
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 21/11/2005
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780747578383
- EPUB from £7.67
- eAudiobook MP3 from £11.72