The savage power of ancient myth collides with twentieth-century decadence in Wilde's astonishing verse tragedy.
Banned by the Lord Chamberlain in 1892, Wilde rewrote the play in French and it premiered in Paris in 1896, when Wilde was in prison.
Translated by Wilde's lover, Lord Alfred Douglas ('Bosie'), from the French, the play was finally seen in London in 1906.
This edition, published alongside this rare revival, carries new introductions by the academic Trevor Griffiths and Jamie Lloyd, director of this new production.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 56 pages
- Publisher: Nick Hern Books
- Publication Date: 05/05/2010
- Category: Plays, playscripts
- ISBN: 9781848421011
- Paperback / softback from £1.99
- Hardback from £8.99
- PDF from £5.19
- EPUB from £5.19
- eAudiobook MP3 from £4.87