Phillis Wheatley, the African-born slave poet, is considered by many to be a pioneer of Anglo-American poetics.
This study argues how in her 1773 POEMS, Wheatley uses John Milton's poetry to develop an idealistic vision of an emerging Anglo-American republic comprised of Britons, Africans, Native Americans, and women.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 154 pages, XIV, 154 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 04/12/2014
- Category: Literary studies: c 1500 to c 1800
- ISBN: 9781137474773
- Paperback / softback from £37.39