The Benedictine Priory of St James was established just outside the medieval city of Bristol in 1129AD.
Two areas were excavated: Site 1 to the east of the Priory church, and Site 2 to the west. The Priory was largely destroyed during the Dissolution of 1540, but the area around Site 1 remained in use during the 17th and 18th centuries as housing was built there.
Site 2 was in use from the late Saxon period to the 20th century.
This publication presents the results of excavations carried out at Site 1 from 1989 and 1995, and from Site 2 from 1994 and '95, along with those obtained from a watching brief, kept during landscaping work in 1997.
There are also specific chapters on finds and burials.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 2 pages, 8p col illus
- Publisher: Oxbow Books
- Publication Date: 20/11/2006
- Category: British & Irish history
- ISBN: 9781842172070