* How do we currently understand sexual dysfunction?* How can psychodynamic theories contribute to an understanding of sexual difficulties?* How can we treat sexual problems psychodynamically?Counsellors and therapists can be hesitant about addressing the sexual problems of their clients from any perspective and sometimes lack the confidence to tackle the issues as they arise. This is the first book to describe comprehensively a specifically psychodynamic approach to sexual dysfunction. It reviews the range and nature of sexual difficulties, and evaluates the relevance of psychodynamic theory and interventions to the understanding, assessment and treatment of sexual problems with individuals and couples. It is illustrated throughout with helpful case study material. It shows how physical and cultural understandings of sexuality and sexual difficulty need to be an integrated part of work with clients. Psychodynamic Approaches to Sexual Problems is an important and useful book for all trainee and practising counsellors and therapists working within a psychodynamic or integrated framework.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 190 pages
- Publisher: Open University Press
- Publication Date: 01/03/2000
- Category: Counselling & advice services
- ISBN: 9780335201594