Unpacking Culture : Art and Commodity in Colonial and Postcolonial Worlds Paperback / softback
Edited by Ruth B. Phillips, Christopher B. Steiner
Tourist art production is a global phenomenon and is increasingly recognized as an important and authentic expression of indigenous visual traditions.
These thoughtful, engaging essays provide a comparative perspective on the history, character, and impact of tourist art in colonized societies in three areas of the world: Africa, Oceania, and North America.
Ranging broadly historically and geographically, "Unpacking Culture" is the first collection to bring together substantial case studies on this topic from around the world.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 435 pages, 88 black-and-white photos.
- Publisher: University of California Press
- Publication Date: 14/01/1999
- Category: History of art / art & design styles
- ISBN: 9780520207974