Gender, Sex, and the City : Urdu Rekhti Poetry in India, 1780-1870 Hardback
by Ruth Vanita
Part of the Literatures and Cultures of the Islamic World series
Explores the urban, cosmopolitan sensibilities of Urdu poetry written in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries in Lucknow.
Ruth Vanita analyzes Rekhti, a type of Urdu poetry distinguished by a female speaker and a focus on women's lives, and shows how it becamea catalyst for the transformation of the ghazal.
- Format: Hardback
- Pages: 296 pages, XIII, 296 p.
- Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
- Publication Date: 29/02/2012
- Category: Literary studies: c 1500 to c 1800
- ISBN: 9780230340640
- Paperback / softback from £54.55