The Midland & South Western Junction Railway Through Time Paperback
Part of the Through Time series
The Midland & South Western Junction Railway was formed in 1884 by amalgamation of the Swindon, Marlborough & Andover and the Swindon & Cheltenham Extension railways.
It provided a north-south link between the Midland and the London & South Western railways through the heartland of the Great Western Railway.
It also served several military establishments in Wiltshire.
It joined the Banbury & Cheltenham Direct Railway at Andoversford with running rights to Cheltenham; its junction with the L&SWR was at Andover. Passing west of the GWR station at Swindon, it is sometimes referred to as `Swindon's Other Railway' but was absorbed by the GWR in 1923.
The line was closed by British Railways in 1961, apart from a few freight sections that had gone by 1970.
The Swindon & Cricklade heritage railway is recreating some of the line from its base at Blunsdon.
Several sections of the trackbed have been converted to pleasant walking and cycling routes.
- Format: Paperback
- Pages: 96 pages, 161 Illustrations, unspecified
- Publisher: Amberley Publishing
- Publication Date: 15/08/2018
- Category: Trains & railways: general interest
- ISBN: 9781445663364