Walled Kitchen Gardens Paperback / softback
Part of the Shire Album S. series
Walled kitchen gardens were found in the grounds of most large country houses in Britain and Ireland.
They were designed to provide a continual supply of fruit, flowers and vegetables.
With the aide of heated glasshouses, there would be out-of-season delicacies such as strawberries for Christmas, exotic tropical fruits, figs and grapes.
The remains of these gardens can still be seen, some converted to other uses, some simply abandoned; a few have been restored to their previous productiveness.
This book examines the history of these old kitchen gardens in the light of what might be seen there today.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 56 pages, colour and black and white
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Publication Date: 01/08/2006
- Category: Gardens (descriptions, history etc)
- ISBN: 9780747806578