In 1789 in Sydney Cove, the remotest penal colony of the British Empire, a group of convicts and one of their captors unite to stage a play.
As felons, perjurers and whores rehearse, their playmaker becomes strangely seduced.
For the play's power is mirrored in the rich, varied life of this primitive land, and, not least, in the convict and actress, Mary Brenham.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 400 pages, None
- Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
- Publication Date: 01/10/1988
- Category: Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780340422632
- EPUB from £3.99
- Paperback / softback from £13.49