The Buddenbrook clan is everything you'd expect of a nineteenth-century German merchant family - wealthy, esteemed, established.
Four generations later, a tide of twentieth-century modernism has gradually disintegrated the bourgeois values on which the Buddenbrooks built their success.
In this, Mann's first novel, his astounding, semi-autobiographical family epic, he portrays the transition of genteel Germanic stability to a very modern uncertainty.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 864 pages
- Publisher: Vintage Publishing
- Publication Date: 29/07/1996
- Category: Classic fiction (pre c 1945)
- ISBN: 9780749386474
- EPUB from £7.99
- Hardback from £14.85
- Paperback / softback from £9.39