In 1880 the continent of Africa was largely unexplored by Europeans.
Less than thirty years later, only Liberia and Ethiopia remained unconquered by them.
The rest - 10 million square miles with 110 million bewildered new subjects - had been carved up by five European powers (and one extraordinary individual) in the name of Commerce, Christianity, 'Civilization' and Conquest.
The Scramble for Africa is the first full-scale study of that extraordinary episode in history.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 768 pages, Section: 32, B&W
- Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group
- Publication Date: 23/11/1992
- Category: African history
- ISBN: 9780349104492
- EPUB from £2.99