Wish You Were Here: England on Sea Paperback / softback
In this gloriously original social history, Travis Elborough argues that our national character - our snobbishness and willingness to laugh at ourselves, our attitudes to sex and fair play and our chequered relationship with national pride - has been forged against a backdrop of stormy skies and pebbly beaches.
Covering everything from Agatha Christie to the Prince Regent via Billy Butlin and Brighton Rock, this is a book for anyone who has ever wrestled with a deckchair, braved a sopping esplanade or felt the crunch of sand in a sandwich.
- Format: Paperback / softback
- Pages: 256 pages, Black and white photos
- Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
- Publication Date: 12/05/2011
- Category: British & Irish history
- ISBN: 9780340935118
- EPUB from £3.99